Mon 14 Aug 2023 •
Emma Bates's Running & Nutrition Tips
SHARE THIS POST
Did you miss our Fueling Event with UCAN featuring pro-marathoner Emma Bates and Sports Dietitian Bob Seebohar?
Check out Emma's Running & Fueling Tips below + order your FREE Edge Sample Pack here and use code BOULDER23 for 20% off the entire UCAN website!
Emma Bates’ Running Tips
- You’re only as strong as your core. Emma makes core strengthening a priority all-year and focuses on exercises for her abdominals and back.
- Strong hips = strong running form. Emma trains her hips post runs with band exercises. Having a hip band exercise routine helps her prevent injuries. When hips are weak, stress is placed on the knees causing other muscles to overcompensate which can result in muscle strains.
- Find a support system! Having a community of people who support you, your goals, and your training is so important to hold you accountable and motivating.
Emma Bates’ Race Day Nutrition Plan
- 1 slice toast with peanut butter and jelly
During the Race:
- Emma takes one UCAN Edge every 5K as she races; total of 7-8 gels during race (Pineapple and Strawberry Banana flavors are her favorite)
Emma’s Pro-tip: Balance is the goal. Sometimes before a race, Emma will have a glass of wine to make sure she’s relaxed. It’s equally as important to treat yourself when you’re training hard and eating nutritiously. She told us that “it’s a special routine before a race, a nice little treat!”
Emma’s Morning Race Rehearsal Routine
- Wakes up 3 hours before race start time
- Eats her pre race breakfast
- Puts on her clothing that she laid out the night before
- Light stretches and lunge matrix for activation
- In the car on the way to her run location, she visualizes how she wants her workout to go
- Pumps herself up by listening to music
- Starts the run (uses this time to be present during each mile)
- Takes the first half of the run to get a rhythm going and pushes the second half of the run to really simulate the race.
Ready to try UCAN yourself? Order your FREE Edge Sample Pack here and use code BOULDER23 for 20% off the entire UCAN website!